Waupaca County Highway Department
- Snowplows typically travel at 25-35 mph, which in many cases is significantly slower than the posted speeds. The driver's field of vision is also severely restricted.
- It is illegal (s.346.915, Wis. Stats.) to follow a snowplow closer than 200 feet upon any highway having a posted speed limit of more than 35 mph if the snowplow is engaged in snow and ice removal.
- It is legal to pass a snowplow but care should be taken when attempting this maneuver because it's often difficult to see past the snowplow because of the snow cloud. Also the snowplow's wing blade can extend up to 10 feet beyond the width of the truck. Many snowplow wing blades are hit each season by vehicles attempting to pass the snowplow.
SEASONAL WEIGHT LIMITS WILL END WEDNESDAY, APRIL 1ST AT 12:01 A.M.
As a proactive and responsible measure to COVID-19, the Highway Dept. is encouraging the community to practice the social distancing guidelines as recommended by the Waupaca County Health Dept., Waupaca County Emergency Management Dept., Wisc. Dept. of Health Services and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. We urge citizens to postpone in-person visits to the Highway Dept. until further notice. For any business with the county, please phone ahead as many inquiries can be resolved via phone and e-mail.
Additionally, you may experience some delays in communication from our office as we work to ensure and adapt staffing to meet the functional needs of our office. We appreciate your patience and support during this time.
This situation is dynamic and rapidly evolving. For the most up to date and reliable information regarding COVID-19 in Waupaca County, please visit:
Welcome to the Waupaca County Highway Department website. We’re hoping to have this site be a resource of information to everyone. Our work crews are finishing construction projects and gearing up for the winter snowplowing season as timely and as SAFE as we can. It is up to our traveling Public to do the same. Please use this website resource as a tool to help inform yourself of department bid information, contact information or any other highway related topic.
Let’s have a safe 2020 winter season!
Above is a picture of the new Highway Facility located on CTH A.
The Highway Department is responsible for many functions in the county including, but not limited to:
- The planning, designing, constructing, and maintaining of the county highway system.
- The maintaining of all state highways that travel through Waupaca County.
- The maintaining of many town road systems that hold maintenance agreements with us.
Click here to see our Mission Statement
The Waupaca County Highway Department reminds residents that it is illegal to place private signs such as rummage sale signs, advertising signs “for sale” signs or Realtor signs in the county right-of-way. Signs placed in the right-of-way will be removed by the Highway Department.
2670 County Road A
Waupaca WI 54981
Waupaca Office Hours
- April 22nd thru October: 6 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday thru Thursday
- November thru April: 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday
TRAFFIC REPORTS FOR ALL WISCONSIN STATE ROADS:
Call: 1-866-511-9472 or 511 from your cellphone
Recent snowstorms have caused many individual property owners, farmers, contractors and businesses to plow or blow the snow from their driveways onto the roads or shoulders for County snowplows to remove.
This action can be detrimental to the unsuspecting motorists, the violating snow plower and the county plows.
Placing snow or other obstacles in the roadway is strictly prohibited by Wisconsin Statutes 346.94 (5). Property owners should refrain from clearing their driveways by putting snow onto the roads, shoulders or the right-of-way. Waupaca County policy is to identify unsafe situations, notify the violating property owner in writing and determine if removal of the hazard is necessary. If it is deemed necessary, Waupaca County Highway Department personnel will remove the hazard, and the property owner will be charged for any costs incurred in the hazard removal.